What are Some Safety Matters to Take in Consideration Before a Hurricane?
September 18, 2017 - Uncategorized
Hurricane Harvey will never be forgotten. The lives of countless Texans will never be the same. Harvey left behind a mixed legacy of both pain and the incredible power and resiliency of the human spirit.
Newscasters covering Hurricane Irma, following close on the heels of Hurricane Harvey, referred to the “Harvey Effect.” More people rushed out early to buy water, batteries and other emergency supplies than in previous storms. More people evacuated.
- Make a family communication plan, such as texting or using social media.
- Register for warnings and alerts.
- Keep basic emergency supplies on hand: water, non-perishable food, flashlight and batteries, cash, first aid kit and battery-powered radio/tv.
- Consider flood insurance – hopefully, you’ll never need it, but Juan Reyna wouldn’t want you to be one of those who lost everything and had no insurance.
2-3 Days Before the Hurricane
- Find out where shelters are located, especially if you have pets or special needs.
- Know your hurricane zone.
- Stay informed from the National Hurricane Center and local sources.
- Have all necessary medications.
- Put insurance and other important papers in a sealed plastic bag.
- Check out your car and fill the tank.
- Bring loose objects inside and secure home.
- Evacuate if necessary.
A Few Hours Before the Hurricane
- Turn freezer and refrigerator to coldest setting.
- Check frequently for storm updates, evacuation orders.
- Tell family/friends where you’ll be.
- Charge phone and safeguard both home and car chargers.
For more hurricane tips, visit ready.gov.
Hopefully, Texas will never see another Harvey, but people’s lives will continue to be devastated by car accidents and other traumatic events. If you’ve been severely injured by another’s negligence, call Reyna Law Firm at (855) 477-7100 for a free consultation. Juan Reyna has the serious experience you need when you’re suffering from a serious injury.
For more information click here