Austin Brain Injury Attorneys
When you or someone close to you receives an unexpected brain injury, the consequences can be devastating, and unfortunately, brain injuries occur quite frequently in the United States. Injuries such as this can greatly diminish a person’s quality of life can also seriously affect his or her ability to work and maintain relationships with family and friends. If you live in the Austin Metropolitan Area and have experienced a head injury of any type, it is extremely important to contact an Austin brain injury lawyer as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected.
Brain Injury Statistics
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 1.7 million brain injuries occur in this country each year, and nearly 1.6 million people visit emergency rooms annually for traumatic brain injury (TBIs). Nearly all of the patients treated for TBIs are immediately released by ER doctors, but more than 280,000 are admitted to hospitals. In addition, about 52,000 people die every year from brain injuries, which account for 30 percent of all injury deaths.
People of any age can sustain a TBI, but those most at risk are children 4 years of age and younger, followed closely by teenagers 15 to 19 years of age and seniors 65 or older. The age group most likely to be hospitalized for brain injuries is seniors 74 years of age and older. While all people are susceptible to brain injuries, males make up 59 percent of cases and comprise a majority in all age categories.
The costs incurred because of TBIs in the U.S. are extraordinarily high. The CDC estimates the total of direct medical expenses and lost work to exceed $60 billion annually.
Causes of Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries can be caused by a wide range of events, but according to the CDC, the leading factors that contribute to these serious incidents are the following:
• Falls – 40.5 percent
• Struck by or against objects – 15.5 percent
• Motor vehicle traffic – 14.3 percent
• Assault – 10.7 percent
• Unknown or other causes – 19 percent
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries come in several varieties, and each type affects victims differently regardless of severity. A few of the most common types of brain injury recognized by the Brain Injury Association of America are as follows:
• Concussion – Concussions are caused by direct blows to the head or violent shaking. Victims may experience a loss of consciousness or dizziness.
• Contusion – Contusions occur from one or more direct impacts to the head and are characterized by bruising of the brain.
• Coup-contrecoup – This type of brain injury is the result of the brain impacting with the inside of the skull.
• Second-impact syndrome – This occurs when someone who has a brain injury that has yet to fully heal suffers a second brain injury.
• Penetrating injury – A penetrating injury occurs when a solid object goes through the skull and directly impacts the brain.
Hiring an Austin Brain Injury Lawyer
Brain injuries can severely impact a person’s life, and it is imperative to discover who is at fault. Experienced personal injury lawyers are crucial in determining fault in brain injury cases, and most people find them necessary in recovering damages sustained in such events, including direct medical expenses and lost wages. For more